Total Topics: 239
Most Online Today: 2
Most Online Ever: 44
(June 21, 2017, 06:46:53 AM)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 1
Total: 2

Author Topic: Secretarys report-2018  (Read 132 times)

Ernie Lazenby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Secretarys report-2018
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:37:25 PM »
                                          Darlington and District Model Boat Club     
                                        Secretary’s report 2018   - Ernie Lazenby
The club has enjoyed a good year despite the winter being prolonged and we enjoyed a good summer for our hobby although for an extended period the yachtsmen were without much of nature’s wind. The long hot summer minus any real rain caused the water level in our reservoir to drop significantly however the weed did not become a significant problem mainly because the Blue dye applied for at least 4 years has caused the weed to weaken. Most of any weed that needed to be dealt with was done so by a small team of volunteers and their contribution must not be overlooked. In particular it has to be said that some of the volunteers were those who do not sail yachts and thus derived no benefit from removal of the weed other than helping the club function.

2018 saw the introduction of new data protection legislation, laws that affect every club no matter how small. I became aware of this legislation in early 2018 and sought to make sure we complied before the implementation date in May. Notices have been displayed in the club house and on the web site setting out what data the club holds and why. In order to comply with the legislation and to cover the committee I drafted up new membership forms that requires prospective members and existing members to sign stating they fully understand what data the club holds, who holds it and why. This process will be completed this year.  This issue was discussed by the clubs committee and agreed that any existing member or prospective member who feels unable to sign the membership form will not be allowed to remain a member or join.

In the past I have attended council meetings whenever an issue was to be discussed that may have some relevance to the club. Unfortunately, the Chairman of the Council resigned from his position along with three other councillors. He was someone with whom I had developed a very good one to one working relationship probably due to us both having a professional background. I felt it best to keep away from the council meetings until they became more organised/settled or an issue arose necessitating my presence. I have however established a very good working relationship with the parish clerk, we get on well and he sees to it that any concerns I have are looked into. There has been no issue during 2018 that had any bearing on the relationship between the parish council and our club; the relationship remains cordial.

I regularly read Council agendas and minutes to see if there are matters that could impact on our club. Such a matter arose in July however following an exchange of e mails with the parish clerk it was apparent that was not so. The new housing development to the south of our reservoir brought into question the structural integrity of all the reservoirs and this is being looked into by the council who have commissioned the services of a structural engineer who will advise what work the housing developers will need to do to prevent any problems at the water park.

It’s the committee’s job to ensure that our club does nothing to cause anyone to question our tenancy and use of the facility. The committee has been required to deal with a small matter that had potential to cause the club a problem. Advice was given and the matter concluded.
I have dealt with any correspondence that arose during the year and in particular made certain that our insurance policy premiums were paid on time something that got overlooked for a month last year. I have worked closely with our treasurer to make sure all our bills have been paid on time.

The club held a regatta in August. This was a good day out despite the early morning weather doing its best to put us of. The number of members attending was a bit low no doubt affected by the weather forecast.
The club constitution needed to be produced in a format acceptable to the club bankers. I have done that.
The club safety officer has completed the annual review of club safety and the report is displayed in the clubhouse and on the website. A copy has been forwarded to the parish council.
The competition secretary suffered a serious illness and was unable to complete the latter half of the season. His duties were filled by Ernie Lazenby and Walter Snowden. 
Finally, I have enjoyed the last year as club secretary and hope I have contributed to it running efficiently without too much bureaucracy something that cannot be avoided in the 21st century.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:41:27 PM by Ernie Lazenby »
model boats are great fun, the faster the better.Floating kettles are interesting
'temet nosce'

Recent Topics

CLUB ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING - 2018 by Ernie Lazenby
November 10, 2018, 12:37:22 PM

CLUB FEES ARE DUE by Ernie Lazenby
October 30, 2018, 05:25:49 PM

Competition results 2018- progressive tables by Ernie Lazenby
September 26, 2018, 06:00:58 PM

Safety Officers report 2018 by Ernie Lazenby
September 25, 2018, 10:14:59 AM

Secretarys report-2018 by Ernie Lazenby
September 24, 2018, 10:37:25 PM