Total Topics: 228
Most Online Today: 3
Most Online Ever: 44
(June 21, 2017, 06:46:53 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Author Topic: Annual club regatta. Sunday 12th August Programme  (Read 160 times)

Ernie Lazenby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Annual club regatta. Sunday 12th August Programme
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »
Not long now to our annual regatta day. Sunday 12th August

The following programme times may be subject to change. The officer of the day, Ernie Lazenby will monitor how things are going and may change if needed.

9.0am - 10.0 am Setting up and testing

10.0am -  Tugs and harbour craft

10.30   -   Scale fast electric balloon race  -  small prize for the winner

10.45   -   Yacht race for restricted class Yachts (NO I.O.M yachts)  There is an excellent prize for the winner of this race kindly donated by   
                Geoff earl.

11.15   -    Warships

12.0 - 12.30 Lunch and free sailing and testing (Officer of the day will make sure fast boats don't mix with scale boats)

12.30  Steam and scale sail (barges,schooners,cabin yachts etc)

1.0pm   All type of yachts for a fun race.   small prize for the winner.

1.30pm   Fast boats- the ballistic missiles.

2.0pm     Wacky races - air boat race. small prize for the winner

2.15pm   Mixed classes but no fast racing craft

3.0pm parade on the water of all craft behind the slowest boat.

The club commodore will judge the best kit class and best scratch built boat on the water (no static models) Prizes to be presented at the clubs AGM
He will also judge any model entered into a new class - static models, not necessarily a boat, not made for RC.

Bring sandwiches or whatever you fancy.  Nibbles will be provided on the day.

Directive from speedy gonzales  and father confessor otherwise known as Ernie Lazenby and Walter Snowden-  HAVE FUN-bring as many models as you can.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:58:45 AM by Ernie Lazenby »
model boats are great fun, the faster the better.Floating kettles are interesting
'temet nosce'

Ernie Lazenby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Annual club regatta. Sunday 12th August Programme
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
  A reminder just over a week to our regatta.

For the information of steam boat willies- an area to the right of the jetty will be roped off as a steaming bay. Please keep non 'kettle boilers' out of the area.
model boats are great fun, the faster the better.Floating kettles are interesting
'temet nosce'

Ernie Lazenby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Annual club regatta. Sunday 12th August Programme
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
I arrived at the club at around 6.15 am on Sunday morning intending to set everything up. The rain was torrential and the water sheeting off the clubhouse roof was monsoon in nature. I got drenched opening up. Holding a regatta seemed to be the last thing we would be doing. By 7.0am the rain had eased and Walter arrived but it was not looking good and the weather forecast filled us with dread. Walter had sorted out food etc and we discussed what we could do with it if the day was a washout. Several other committee members arrived and we decided to leave a decision about cancelling the day until the last possible minute. The final decision was left to me as officer of the day and despite a gloomy weather forecast I decided we ought to plough on with an amended programme. Someone upstairs must like us because in short order the weather improved with just a few spots of rain which  soon cleared away leaving not a bad day.

Attendance was not good by members probably due to the weather when deciding to go or not and the weather forecast for the rest of the day.

Those that attended enjoyed the day and we had some fine examples of boats on the water. Several boats we had not see before were on the water including Roy's large and very different gunboat, impressive. Barrie's MTB brave borderer is a very fine example of its type. Barrie is a prolific builder of warships and his attention to detail is to be commended. Alan Wilsons totally scratch built lifeboat has a museum quality about it, the wood work is of a class few modellers can produce and perhaps I ought to mention it is going into a museum!. All boats on the water were excellent examples of their type. Forgive me making special mention of Tom Sanderson and his models of K4 Bluebird and Arno Ferrari. Tom made these many years ago at a time when the technology available now to make boats go fast was not as it is now. The boats have been converted to brushless power and they now go like the wind. Tom, a long time stalwart member of the club, was seriously ill last year for a long time and it was great to see a skilled model maker with such a big smile on his face as his models skimmed across the water. I felt very privileged to be allowed to convert and then drive these models for him.
Sorry I cannot cover all the boats on display suffice to say well done to all who took their fine examples to be seen on the water.

I want to mention something that is an example to us all. Most if not all of you are aware of the serious health problem les Toulmin has and indeed is not resolved with months of treatment to come. Les tuned up to support the day taking part in the yacht racing. An inspiration.

One final word on the boats it was great to see Geoff Fish's very young grandson sailing his jet ski boat and didn't he look dressed for the part.

The two yacht races were somewhat muted because there was barely a puff of wind but the skippers managed and we got a result. The scale racing/great balloon race will not be repeated next year. Using the balloons as a feature causes too many problems/damage too boats so next year the balloon element will be omitted.

Walter was able to judge the kit and scratch built classes and determined the winners whose identity will be declared at the clubs AGM.

A big thank you to those who helped out by getting the recovery boat out/away and to all those who braved the weather to support the club.

Prizes for the various events will be presented at the clubs AGM.

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL :) :) :) :) :)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:49:23 AM by Ernie Lazenby »
'temet nosce'

Recent Topics

Competition results 2018- progressive tables by Ernie Lazenby
August 16, 2018, 09:13:22 AM

Competition results 2018 by Ernie Lazenby
August 16, 2018, 09:11:38 AM

Wednesday 22nd August by Ernie Lazenby
August 15, 2018, 09:59:18 PM

Annual club regatta. Sunday 12th August Programme by Ernie Lazenby
August 13, 2018, 09:19:40 AM

Bluebird by Ernie Lazenby
August 06, 2018, 09:13:57 AM